I am so excited to share this recipe from my upcoming cookbook, Cooking In Real Life! (Pre-order your copy here if you haven’t already!). It’s an autumnal spin on a classic old-fashioned, made with fresh apple cider, maple syrup, and of course, bourbon! It’s the perfect drink to serve before Thanksgiving, or anytime during the holidays when you want to make a quick and festive cocktail.
Cider & Bourbon Old-Fashioned
- 4 ounces (½ cup) fresh apple cider
- 4 ounces (½ cup) bourbon
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 4 dashes bitters, plus more to taste
- Ice cubes, for serving
- 2 (2-inch) strips orange peel, for serving
- Place two rocks glasses in the freezer to chill while you make the drinks.
- In a large mixing glass, combine the apple cider, bourbon, maple syrup, and bitters. Add one cup ice and stir gently for about 10 seconds. Place one large ice cube, or a handful of regular sized ice cubes, into the chilled glasses. Strain the cocktail into the glasses, then garnish each drink with an orange twist and serve immediately.Copyright 2023, Cooking in Real Life, Lidey Heuck / Simon & Schuster, All Rights Reserved